Michael A. Fiddy
- Professor of Physics and Optical Science and of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- Founding Director, Center for Optoelectronics and Optical Communications, UNC Charlotte, 2002-2010.
- NSF Industry-University Collaborative Research Center for Metamaterials Site Director, 2011-
- OSA Board of Directors 2014 & 2015; OSA Meetings Council Past Chair 2016-
- OIDA Advisory Board and Council 2011-2015
PhD in Physics, University of London 1977
BS in Physics, first class honors University of London 1973
- Superresolution and image reconstruction from limited data
- Inverse scattering and structure synthesis: metamaterials
- 2010 Visiting Erskine Fellow, EE Department, University of Canterbury, Christchurch New Zealand
- 2010 Visiting Professor, Nanophotonics Laboratory, School of EEE, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- 1994-2001 Head of Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, UML
- 1987-2001 Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Lowell (tenured).
- 1985-86 Visiting Associate Professor in Mathematics Department, Catholic University of America, Washington, D. C.
- 1984-1987 Faculty in Physics, Kings College, London University (tenured).
- 1982 (summer) and 1983 (summer) Visiting Associate Professor at the Institute of Optics, University of Rochester, New York.
- 1979-1984 Faculty in Physics, Queen Elizabeth College, London University (tenured 1982).
- 1978-1979 Post-doc, EE Dept., University College, London University.
Service to the Technical Community
- Editor-in-Chief, Waves in Random and Complex Media, since Jan 1996
- Deputy Editor, Photonics Research, since Jan 2013.
- Topical Editor for Signal and Image Processing, Optical Society of America A, 1994-2001.
- Editor, Optics and Photonics Letters, World Scientific Press, since 2007.
- Editorial Board, Advances in Optical Technologies, Hiwandi Press, since 2007.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Communications Society, 2004-7, Charlotte Chapter.
- SPIE and OSA conference/topical meeting organizer
- OSA Meetings Council (2009- ); chair 2014; past chair 2016-
- OSA Board of Directors (2014,2015 )
- Optoelectronics Industry Development Association (OIDA) Advisory Board & Council (2011-2015)
- OSA Leith and Richardson Medal Committees
- New England Chapter of SPIE;
- Treasurer 1992-1994; President 1994-1996, Past President 1996-98.
- SPIE ESTeP Committee 2006-2008
- Co-founder: Carolinas Photonics Consortium and Carolinas MicroOptics Triangle
- Organizer/co-organizer of 18 international conferences since 1990
- Fellow of SPIE
- Fellow of OSA,
- Fellow Inst. of Physics (UK),
- Fellow Electromagnetics Academy
- Senior Member IEEE
- UMass Lowell Outstanding Graduate Educator of the year (1991).
- UMass ECE Department Teaching Excellence Award (2001).
- Andrewes Prize in Physics, University of London (1972).
- 12 book chapters
- Editor/co-Editor 18 conference proceedings
- > 160 refereed papers
- > 360 conference publications
Recent book and book chapters
Fiddy, M. A. and Ritter, S., Introduction to Imaging from Scattered Fields, CRC Press November 2014, ISBN 13:978-1-4665-6958-4.
Sheih, M., C. L., Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, “Resolution Enhancement using Prior Information” in Image Restoration: Fundamentals and Advances, Ed. B. Gunturk, CRC/Taylor and Francis Press, Chapter 4, (2012).
Fiddy, M. A., “Slow light for sensing”, Photonic Bandgap Structures: a Novel Technological Platform Physical, Chemical and Biological Sensing, Ed. M. Pisco, A. Cusano and A. Cutolo, Bentham Press, Chapter 6, (2012), pp 118-134.
Testorf, M. E and M. A. Fiddy, "Superresolution Imaging: Revisited", Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics, Ed. P. W. Hawkes, Vol 163, ch 5, pp166-218, Academic Press, (2010).
Other book chapters…
Fiddy, M. A. and H. J. Caulfield, "The significance of phase and information", Ch 17 in "Tribute to Emil Wolf", T. P. Jannson Editor, SPIE Press, 2005, pp363-378.
Caulfield, H. J. and M. A. Fiddy, "Backward thinking: holography and the inverse problem", Ch. 19, in Tribute to Emil Wolf", T. P. Jannson Editor, SPIE Press, 2005, pp401-420.
Abbiss, J.B., M. A. Fiddy and R. Steriti, "Image Restoration on the Hopfield Neural Network", ch 1 in Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics, Ed. P.W. Hawkes, Academic Press, pp1-48, 1994.
Fiddy, M.A. and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Editors, "Optical Signal Processing", monograph published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.
Fiddy, M. A., "Linearized and approximate methods for inversion of scattered field data", in 'Inverse Problems in Scattering and Imaging', Ed. M. Bertero and E.R. Pike, Adam Hilger Press, pp23-46, 1992
Fiddy, M. A., "The Role of Analyticity in Image Recovery," in Image Recovery: Theory and Applications, Ed. H. Stark, Academic Press, Florida, pp. 499-529, 1987.
Ross, G., M.A. Fiddy and M. Nieto-Vesperinas,"The inverse scattering problem in structural determinations", in 'Inverse Scattering Problems in Optics', Ed. H.P. Baltes, Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp15-71, 1980.
Daniel Fullager, Ravi Hegde, M.A. Fiddy, “Simulation and Observation of Enhanced Emission from Patterned Hyperbolic Metamaterials, Applied Physics A (APYA-D-15-01267), 2016 in press.
W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “Impact of Non-Zero Effective Surface Sources on Negative Index Perfect Lenses”, J. Basic and Applied Physics, Vol. 4, issue 3, pp.40-48, 2015.
Nantakan Wongkasem, Chaiyong Soemphol, M. A. Fiddy and S. Kitchin, “Electromagnetic responses of curved fishnet structures: near-zero refractive index with lower loss", J. Optics, vol 18, (2016) 025102.
L. Beilina, M. Klibanov, T. Nuygen and M. A. Fiddy, “Imaging of buried objects from experimental backscattering time dependent measurements using a globally convergent inverse algorithm”, SIAM Journal of Imaging Sciences, Vol 8, No 1, pp 757-786, 2015.
M. A. Fiddy, “Foreward to Special Issue: Engineered Complex Materials”, Waves in Random and Complex Media, 24, issue 3, pp 227-228, 2014.
H. A. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Polarization-dependent bandwidth in low-index plasmonic metamaterials”, Applied Optics, 53, pp8043-8048, 2014.
H. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Nanoantennas for nanowire photovoltaics”, Applied Physics Letters, 105 (11), 113107, 2014.
R. Tsu and M. A. Fiddy, “Waves in man-made materials: superlattice to metamaterials”, Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol 24, No. 3, pp250-263, August 2014.
L. Beilina, M. Klibanov, T. Nuygen and M. A. Fiddy, “Reconstruction of the refractive index from experimental backscattering data using a globally convergent inverse method”, SISC-SIAM, vol 36, B273-293, (2014).
L. Beilina, N.T. Nuygen, M. V. Klibanov and M. A. Fiddy, “Reconstruction from blind experimental data for an inverse problem for a hyperbolic equation”, Inverse Problems, Vol 30, 025002, (2014).
R. Hegde, M. A. Fiddy and W. J. R. Hoefer, “The Reconstruction of finite extent objects with the Superlens”, Applied Physics A, DOI 10.1007/s00339-014-8466-4, (2014).
H. Alisafaee, M. A. Fiddy, “Polarization insensitivity in epsilon-near-zero metamaterial from plasmonic aluminum-doped zinc oxide nanoparticles” J. Nanophoton., 8, 1, 083898 (2014).
H. Alisafaee, J. Marmon, M. A. Fiddy, “Spectral properties of Au–ZnTe plasmonic nanorods” Photonics Research Journal, 2, 1, 10-14 (2014).
M. A. Fiddy and U. Shahid, “Legacies of the Gerchberg-Saxton algorithm”, Ultramicroscopy, 134, pp 48-54, (2013),
R. Tsu and M. A. Fiddy, “Generalization of the effects of high Q for metamaterials”, Photonics Research, 1, issue 2, pp 77-87, August 2013.
W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “On the negative index perfect lens with loss”, J. Basic and Applied Physics, Vol 2, issue 3, pp 122-126, 2013.
Y-Chen Chuang, R. Dudley and M. A. Fiddy, “A New Approach to A Practical Subwavelength Resolving Microscope”, Applied Physics A, DOI 10.1007/s00339-013-7741-0, 2013.
Zhiping Zhou and M. A. Fiddy, “A duet in photonics”, Photonics Research Journal, Vol 1, issue 1, p ED1., (2013).
Y. Zhang and M. A. Fiddy, “Covered image of superlens”, PIERS vol 136, pp225-238, 2013.
J. S. D. Roberts, H. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Selective field localization in random structured media,” Applied Optics 52, p742, 2013.
A.V. Kuzhuget, L. Beilina, M.V. Klibanov, A. Sullivan, L. Nguyen and M.A. Fiddy, Quantitative image recovery from measured blind backscattered data using a globally convergent inverse method, IEEE Transactions of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 2937-2948, 2013.
Andrey V. Kuzhuget, Larisa Beilin, Michael V. Klibanov, Anders Sullivan, Lam Nguyen and Michael A. Fiddy “Blind experimental data for imaging of explosive-like targets by an approximately globally convergent inverse algorithm” Inverse Problems vol 28, (2012), 095007 (33pp).
Yuan Zhang, Yi-Chen Chuang, John O. Schenk and Michael A. Fiddy, “Study of scattering patterns and subwavelength scale imaging based on finite-sized metamaterials Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, v 107, n 1, p 61-69, April 2012.
M. Woldeyohannes, John O. Schenk, Robert P. Ingel, Shawn P. Rigdon, Mitchell Pate, John D. Graham, Michael Clare, Weiguo Yang, and Michael A. Fiddy “Internal Field Distribution Measurement in 1-D Strongly Anisotropic Sub-Wavelength Periodic Structures of Finite Length”, Optics Express 19, issue 1, pp 81-92, (2011).
J. Li, Y. Zhang, T. Mei and M. A. Fiddy, “Surface plasma laser based on metal cavity array with two different modes”, Optics Express 18, No 23, p23626-23632, (2010)
C. Yan, D. H. Zhang, Y. Zhang, D. Li and M. A. Fiddy, “Metal-dielectric composite metamaterials for beam splitting and deep sub-wavelength resolution in the far-field” Optics Express 18, No 14, p14794-14801, 2010.
S. Chitchian, T. P. Weldon, M. A. Fiddy and N. M. Fried, "Combined image processing algorithms for improved optical coherent tomography of the prostate nerves", J. Biomedical Optics, 15, issue 4, 046014, (2010). Also featured in September 1, 2010 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research.
J. O. Schenk, M. A. Fiddy and W. Yang, "Imaging with a metamaterial "imperfect" lens", Chinese J. Optics and Applied Optics, 3, p45-51, 2010.
Y. Zhang, X. Zhang, Ting Mei, and M.A. Fiddy, " Negative index modes in surface plasmon waveguides: a study of the relations between lossless and lossy cases", Optics Express 18, No 12, p12213-12225, (2010).
M. A. Fiddy and R. Tsu, "Understanding metamaterials", Waves in Random and Complex Media, vol 20, issue 2, pp202-222, (2010).
M. V. Klibanov, M. A. Fiddy, L. Beilina, N. Pantong and J. Schenk, "Picosecond scale experimental verification of a globally convergent algorithm for a coefficient inverse problem", Inverse Problems, 26, 045003 , 2010.
H. M. Shieh, Y-C Hsu, C. L. Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, "Resolution enhancement of imaging small scaled portions of a compactly-supported function" JOSA A 27, p141-150, 2010.
K. Sinchuk, R. Dudley, R. Ingel, J. O. Schenk, W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, "Effective negative index and negative group index of metamaterials with large form birefringence", Optics Express 18, No 2, p 463-472, 2010.
S. Chitchian, M. A. Fiddy and N. M. Fried, “Denoising during optical coherence tomography of the prostate nerves via wavelet shrinkage using dual-tree complex wavelet transform”, J. Biomedical Optics 14, 014031, 2009.
Y. Cao, J. Schenk and M. A. Fiddy, “Third order nonlinear effect near a degenerate bandedge”, Optics and Photonics Letters, Vol 1, pp 1-7, 2008.
M. A. Fiddy, R. P. Ingel and J. O. Schenk, “Anisotropic metamaterials for field enhancement and negative index applications”, J. Nonlinear Optical Physics and Materials”, Vol 17, 4, p 521-526, Dec 2008.
M. A. Fiddy and T. Her, “Tunable mesoscopic structures for next generation photonic networks”, Proc. HONET IV, Pages:1 - 9, Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/HONET.2007.4600251; Published: 2008-08-15.
D Brady, A. Dogariu, M. A. Fiddy and A. Mahalanobis, “Computational optical sensing and imaging: introduction to feature issue”, Applied Optics 47, pp COSI1-2, 2008.
R. C. Rumpf, Michael A. Fiddy, and Markus E. Testorf , “Design of generalized invisible scatterers”, Optics Express, Vol. 15, Issue 8, pp. 4735-4744, (2007).
P. C. Deguzman, Y. Cao, T.J. Suleski, M. A. Fiddy, R. Jones, R. TeKolste and J. Morris, “Wafer based diffractive polarizer design for low-reflectivity applications”, Opt. Eng., 46 (3) (2007)
M. A. Fiddy, "Photonic Crystal Slow-Light structures for Sensing Applications", SPIE News Room, (ref 554/cd39b0c2), 2006.
H. M. Shieh and M. A. Fiddy, "Accuracy of extrapolated data as a function of prior knowledge and regularization", Applied Optics, vol 45, pp3283-3288, (2006).
H. M. Shieh, C. L. Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, "Image reconstruction: a unifying model for resolution enhancement and data extrapolation", J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, vol 23, pp258-266, (2006).
M. A. Fiddy, Editor, “Proceedings of Charlotte Research Institute Scattering Workshop”, Waves in Random and Complex Media, 16 issue 4, Nov 2006.
M. A. Fiddy and M. Testorf, "Inverse scattering method applied to the synthesis of strongly scattering structures". Optics Express, vol 14, pp2037-2046, 2006.
H. M. Shieh, M. Testorf, C. L. Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, "Iterative image reconstruction using prior knowledge"," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, 23, p1292-1300, 2006